Technology and Quality Control that Support Long-term Archiving
1. Reflective layer design ⇒ silver alloy is used to enhance reliability
Archival lifetime could be affected by the storage capability of DVD-R. It goes without saying that rigorous specifications for the electrical and mechanical characteristics of the DVD-R are important, but the raw materials used for the DVD-R, such as reflective layer and organic dye, are also vital.
Our Archival Grade DVD-R employs a uniquely devel-oped "special alloy" on the silver based reflective layer to maintain suitable reflectivity so that long-term storage capability can coexist.
2. Employing JVC’s unique technologies into a disc.
Employing our uniquely developed “silver-alloy”*2 in the reflective layer to prevent deterioration of the reflective layer*1.
The properties of metal particles are less likely to change during long-term archiving. By minimizing deterioration in the reflective layer with time, stable playback can be maintained for a very long time.
*1 Reflective layer
There is a reflective layer inside the disc that is adjacent to the recording layer. It plays the important role of reflecting the laser light during playback.
Minimizing deterioration of this reflective layer with time helps to stabilize light reflectance, thereby minimizing signal degradation, making long-term archiving possible.
*2 Silver alloy
In general silver is used for the reflective layer of DVD-Rs; however one shortcoming is that silver reflective coatings are susceptible to corrosion.
This product employs silver alloy, which has improved corrosion resistance, which has enabled successful long-term archiving.
Hard-coat recording surface that is “scratch-, stain-, and dust-resistant”
- The unique high-performance hard coat developed by JVC makes the disc resistant to scratches, dust, and stains, which may impede precise recording or playback. With this hard coat, important data can now be protected for a long period.
- For JVC products the degree of scratch-resistance improves by more than 200 times as compared to DVDs without a hard coat.
And, the lubricity of the surface is optimized, making it more resistant and easier to remove stains including sebum from our finger prints. The results show the disc surface is seven times less affected by finger prints as compared to the standard disc.
- Our products also have excellent antistatic, which minimizes the generation of static, thus preventing dust attachment (static charge decay time is about a thousandth compared to other JVC products).
3. Exclusive production line ⇒ clean management
The process has thorough controls to eliminate any error occurrence factors introduced at the production phase.
Clean Management / Production Equipment Management / Automation
(Elimination of Manual Operation)
Furthermore, stress/acceleration tests are carried out to each lot to ensure the durability and reliability is high enough for “Archival Grade”.
[Acceleration test to each lot]